Thursday, November 16, 2017

Reflection for the week of November 13th - 17th


I’m going to focus this reflection on New Mountain Hill and our Tinker Tub Day. I made nail boards for my Tinker Tub. The boards were a circle, a square, a heart, an oval, and an oval star. Each board had a different nail pattern. I made two challenges: one was to make a design; the other was to make shapes. Because this was a pre-school class I kept my reflection question to the students short. I recorded a video so that I could keep up with their designs, the students were so excited to show me all their designs (video link below). Some of the designs even were outside of the nail boards as far as how they laid out their rubber bands. Because of the nature of the activity I did not take many notes but I did voice record a good portion of the time in our group (audio link below). I did ask the students why they made so many spider webs after we cleaned up and they told me it was because they saw a spider making a spider web outside during recess. I was impressed when they asked without prompting if they could switch nail boards with another student. To me this showed that they wanted to expand their creativity onto another foundation. I took many pictures you may say to many but these students were creating new designs almost as fast as I could click the shutter on the camera. I thought initially that I may not get many designs outside the shapes of the boards but that was know where near the case. I was truly impressed with the designs I was presented with, mostly because I got airplanes, houses, fences (3D), spider webs and so many more. I think I enjoyed this activity as much as they did. I would love to take this same activity to every grade level and see how each grade levels thinking changes. I believe this activity will stay with me for many years so as I progress as a teacher I will get to see many of my student’s ideas and creative designs.

Link to my NMHES Tinkering Voice Recording:


Link to my NMHES Tinkering video:



                
                    

                

                

                

                

                

                

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection for the week of November 13th - 17th

I’m going to focus this reflection on New Mountain Hill and our Tinker Tub Day. I made nail boards for my Tinker Tub. The boards were a ci...